Last week the international community convened in New York to discuss progress toward the Millennium Development Goals, with maternal mortality among those lagging furthest behind. This week the ISN takes a closer look at the unabating danger of women’s death and acute injury during childbirth – and what the international community is doing about it.
This ISN Special Report contains the following content:
- An Analysis by Allyn Gaestel about the impact of last week’s UN Millennium Development Goals (MDG) summit on goal number five: maternal health.
- A Podcast interview with Claudia Leimgruber-Neukom of Women’s Hope International about the tragedy of obstetric fistulas developed through childbirth – and how education is the key to addressing the condition.
- Security Watch articles discussing the obstacles to achieving the MDGs by 2015.
- Publications housed in our Digital Library, including the Overseas Development Institute’s ‘MDG Report Card’ published earlier this month.
- Primary Resources, like the full-text of the UN Millennium Declaration at the dawn of a new century.
- Links to relevant websites, like a Time video, featuring a short film on current maternal health issues in Sierra Leone.
- Our IR Directory, featuring the Washington, DC-based Center for Women Policy Studies.