With the first World Cup hosted on African soil underway, the ISN takes a closer look this week at the impact of sport beyond the headlines – particularly as a tool for development.
This ISN Special Report contains the following content:
- An Analysis by the Swiss Academy for Development’s Daniela Preti about how sport contributes to youth empowerment and social transformation at the grassroots level.
- A Podcast interview with SCORE executive director Stefan Howells explores the important role that sport can play in developing countries to bridge the gap between classroom and community.
- Security Watch articles on the impact of international sporting events from the World Cup to the Olympics.
- Publications housed in our Digital Library, including the Middle East Institute’s snapshots of sport in the Middle East.
- Primary Resources, including a UN General Assembly Resolution on ‘Sports as a Means to Promote Education, Health, Development and Peace’.
- Links to relevant websites, such as UNICEF’s Sport for Development website.
- Our IR Directory, featuring the Swiss Federal Department of Defense, Civil Protection and Sport.