If you’re keeping track of the Deepwater Horizon/Gulf of Mexico oil spill, check out these links:
- Andy Lintner has mashed up Google Maps with data from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to visualize the oil spill over land. Put in your hometown to see how far the slick would reach in your area.
- David McCandless over at Information is Beautiful has another visual. This one gives visual context to the Deepwater spill, Exxon Valdez and Amoco Candiz spills along with world oil consumption and remaining proven oil reserves.
- US broadcaster ABC delves into BP’s safety record, while The Boston Globe’s blog The Big Picture brings the catastrophe into focus (some of the images such as the bird mired in oil are sure to become iconic).
- And if you’re one of the millions along the Gulf affected by the spill, BP has a page outlining the claims process.
- Gabriel Baba Lawaal over at Myweku.com asks Do Oil Spills in Africa Not Matter?, while Dana Milbank dissects certain politicians views that the oil spill was the will of The Man Upstairs.
How they came up with that, only God knows. Literally.